
Čepička
Ruins · Czechia
Checked
A forested hilltop at 391 m just west of Předklášteří, worth the short detour off the bike, since three tiers of ramparts and ditches are still clearly traceable under the trees at the top. Lords of Pernštejn began fortifying it in the second quarter of the 15th century as a guard post on monastery land they had seized after Hussites sacked the nearby Porta coeli convent in 1428; local legend even credits the nuns themselves with starting the earthworks as a hiding place, though a proper guard castle is the more likely story. It was never finished: one surviving wall still shows the footprint of a round bastion, and a cistern cut straight into the rock survives in the sunken basement of what would have been its tower. After the monastery reopened in 1450, the half-built fortress was simply quarried for stone to repair Porta coeli instead, and archaeologists from the Museum of the Brno Region excavated the site in 1983–86, confirming the layout of a castle that was never actually completed.
The earthworks are far bigger than anything that was ever finished inside them: an oval defensive ring roughly 150 by 75 metres, cut by two deep ditches, encloses a summit platform barely 25 by 28 metres across. When archaeologist Ludvík Belcredi excavated the site for the Museum of the Brno Region in the 1980s, he found that only one building had ever gone up there, a vaulted stone structure about 7 by 11 metres with its cellar hewn straight into the rock. That mismatch, a fortress-sized perimeter around a single small house, is the clearest physical evidence of what Čepička was meant to be: a garrison position planned for far more men than the unfinished works ever housed. The walk up passes through orchards and meadows below the ruin and a memorial pear tree on the path from Předklášteří. By 1450, once the rebuilt Porta coeli monastery below no longer needed a watch kept over it, the half-built fort was burned and left to the trees.
What you see
From the ridge's east side, the ground falls away toward Předklášteří and Tišnov in the valley below, with Květnice hill and its Klucanina lookout tower rising on the far side and a limestone quarry cut into the neighboring Dřínová hillside.
Practical
There is no marked trail: access is on foot only, via an unwaymarked woodland path from Předklášteří (roughly 900 m), and the ruin itself is freely open with no fee or gate.
castleviewpointarchaeology